Professional Plumbing Tips
5 Winter Plumbing Maintenance Tips to Keep Your Plumbing System in Good Condition
Plumbing problems are very common in the winter, especially over the holiday season. Having hot water is essential during the colder holiday months, as there may be more guests in your home using the facilities. Check out this list of things you can do to keep your water pipes operating well throughout the winter season.
Winter Plumbing Tips
1. Plan out your water usage wisely. Winter temperatures can put a lot of stress on your water heater, so don't make its job more difficult. Space out laundry and shower times throughout the day to give the heater time to accumulate a full tank of water and keep warm water flowing through your pipes consistently.
2. Maintain the sink and garbage disposal. Cleaning up after those big holiday meals can sometimes wreak havoc on your plumbing system. Always turn your disposal on first before putting any food debris inside. When cleaning oil off dishes or cooking supplies, don't pour it directly down the sink, as this can cause clogged pipes. To help keep your drains free-flowing, try Brian Wear Plumbing’s ENDURE Drain Line Maintainer, a non-toxic cleaner safe for the environment, your family, and your pipes!
3. Keep temperatures up. We recommend that you don't let your home’s temperature get any lower than 55F. Turning down the heat when you're not at home saves energy, but there's also a bigger risk of your water pipes freezing. A burst pipe can sometimes go unnoticed for days, unfortunately meaning expensive repairs.
4. Familiarize yourself with the main water valve. In the event that your pipes do freeze or burst, you'll need to shut off your water until the problem can be fixed. The main valve can be found beside the water meter. If you're having trouble locating it, ask a professional to guide you.
5. Close your garage door and protect outdoor faucets. If any water pipes are located in the garage, be sure to keep the garage door closed. This will help prevent pipes from freezing.
Our professional plumbers at Brian Wear Plumbing can help you keep your plumbing system running smoothly throughout the winter. For more tips on how to prepare your pipes for chilly weather, or to learn more about our services, contact us today!